Urakami Cathedral, located 500 meters north of the hypocenter. It was once renowned for being the largest Roman Catholic church in the East but was completely demolished by the nuclear blast. Now you can see the headless statues of the saints, the bell tower that was blown off by the atomic bomb and a wooden figure of the Virgin Mary which miraculously survived the heat of the nuclear blast.
In 1895, with the assistance of Fr. Pierre Fraineau MEP, the Christian faithful began the construction of Urakami Cathedral on the land o the former village headman, the very place where the custom of trampling on a Christian image (e-bumi), had been enforced as a way to expose hidden Christians.
In 1914, a ceremony was held to bless the church and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary. However, just 30 years later, on August 9th, 1945, the church was devastated by the atomic bomb. Nevertheless, on Christmas Eve that year, the survivors rang the church bell that they dug out of the ruins, and went on to rebuilt the church.
The new reinforced concrete building was completed in 1959, and an outer layer of bricks was added in 1980.
In 1962, meanwhile, the new Urakami church replaced Oura Catholic Church as the Cathedral of the Nagasaki Archdiocese.
The following monuments can be seen today in the precincts:
- The Atomic-Bombed Statue of Mary
- The Fallen Bell Tower: The original church had twin bell towers. One was crushed by the atomic explosion, another was blown about 25 meters away by the blast. It is preserved as National Important Asset at the original site.
- Headless Statues of Saints: Stone statues that were exposed to the atomic bombing.
- The Monument of Faith: Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Urakami Yonban Kuzure (the fourth collapse of the Christian community of Urakami resulting from the government's drastic policy of oppression and expulsion.)
- Nagasaki City
|Fees||Free (donations welcome)
Updated March 2017
|Access information||8 min walk from Matsuyama-machi Streetcar stop|
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Urakami Cathedral
- 3Site of the Chokata Residence
- 4Nyoko-do and Dr. Takashi Nagai Memorial ...
- 5Nagasaki Peace Park
- 6Peace Park
- 7Nagasaki Peace Memorial Ceremony
- 8Nagasaki Hypocenter Park
- 9The Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum
- 10Nagasaki National Peace Memorial Hall fo...
- 11HOTEL SAINT PAUL NAGASAKI
- 12Nagasaki Seiyokan
- 14NISSHOKAN SHINKAN BAISHOKAKU
- 15The Hotel Nagasaki BW Premier Collection
- 16BEST WESTERN PREMIER hotel Nagasaki
- 17NISSHOKAN BETTEI KOUYOUTEI
- 18Mt. Inasa trail
- 19NAGASAKI NISSHOKAN
- 20Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints o...
- 21HOTEL NAGASAKI
- 22Ken-ei Bus Terminal
- 23Nagasaki Orion Hotel
- 24Nagasaki Hotele Ihokan
- 26HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKIEKIMAE
- 27HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKI EKIMAE
- 28Fujiwara Ryokan
- 29HOTEL WINGPORT NAGASAKI
- 31Nagasaki Tourist Information Center
- 32Business Royal hotel
- 33Hotel Sainthill Nagasaki
- 34Suwa Shrine
- 35Inasayama Kanko Hotel
- 36INASAYAMA KANKOHOTEL
- 37HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 38HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 39Nakamachi Church
- 40Nagasaki Embroidery
- 41Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 42The Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 43The Great Ghibli Exhibition - From Nausi...
- 44Fujiwara Ryokan
- 45NAGASAKI BLUESKY HOTEL
- 46Nagasaki skyhotel
- 48Shindenan Autumn Public Viewing
- 49Shindenan Spring Public Viewing
- 50NAGASAKI I.K HOTEL
- 51NAGASAKI I・K HOTEL
- 52Santo Domingo Church Museum
- 53HOTEL PASSAGE KINKAI
- 54DiGJAPAN App
- 56Inasayama Observatory
- 57Nagasaki Night View on Mt. Inasa
- 58HOTEL IKEDA
- 59Nagasaki "Otakusa" Hydrangea Festival
- 61Siebold Memorial Museum
- 62nagasaki Hotel seifu
- 63Chisun Grand Nagasaki
- 64 Mount Inasa Azalea Festival
- 65APA HOTEL Nagasaki-Ekiminami
- 66Doragon Promenade
- 67CAPSULE IN KOYOKAN
- 68Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 69Nakashima River Summer Festival
- 70Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 71HOTEL BELLEVIEW NAGASAKI-DEJIMA
- 73The Spirit Boat Procession / Shourounagashi
- 75New Year's Eve along Temple Street in Na...
- 76Takengei (Wakamiya Inari Shrine's Autumn...
- 77Nagasaki Kunchi / Okunchi
- 78Teramachi-dori (Temple Street)
- 79Nagasaki Dejima Wharf
- 81Hotel Arc inn Tennen
- 82Dejima (Desima, Deshima) - Site of the F...
- 83Garden terrace Nagasaki Hotel&Resorts
- 84Garden Terrace Nagasaki Hotels & Resorts
- 86VICTORIA INN NAGASAKI
- 87Victoria Inn Nagasaki
- 88Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 89Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 90Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 91Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 92Shinchi Chinatown
- 93 Nagasaki Lantern Festival
- 94Nagasaki Port and Nagasaki Seaside Park ...
- 95nagasaki shinchi terminal
- 96Shianbashi & Doza
- 97Nagasaki Shinchi Chinatown
- 98Hotel JALCity Nagasaki
- 99Richmond Hotel
- 100Nagasaki Hotel Marine World