Urakami Cathedral, located 500 meters north of the hypocenter. It was once renowned for being the largest Roman Catholic church in the East but was completely demolished by the nuclear blast. Now you can see the headless statues of the saints, the bell tower that was blown off by the atomic bomb and a wooden figure of the Virgin Mary which miraculously survived the heat of the nuclear blast.
In 1895, with the assistance of Fr. Pierre Fraineau MEP, the Christian faithful began the construction of Urakami Cathedral on the land o the former village headman, the very place where the custom of trampling on a Christian image (e-bumi), had been enforced as a way to expose hidden Christians.
In 1914, a ceremony was held to bless the church and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary. However, just 30 years later, on August 9th, 1945, the church was devastated by the atomic bomb. Nevertheless, on Christmas Eve that year, the survivors rang the church bell that they dug out of the ruins, and went on to rebuilt the church.
The new reinforced concrete building was completed in 1959, and an outer layer of bricks was added in 1980.
In 1962, meanwhile, the new Urakami church replaced Oura Catholic Church as the Cathedral of the Nagasaki Archdiocese.
The following monuments can be seen today in the precincts:
- The Atomic-Bombed Statue of Mary
- The Fallen Bell Tower: The original church had twin bell towers. One was crushed by the atomic explosion, another was blown about 25 meters away by the blast. It is preserved as National Important Asset at the original site.
- Headless Statues of Saints: Stone statues that were exposed to the atomic bombing.
- The Monument of Faith: Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Urakami Yonban Kuzure (the fourth collapse of the Christian community of Urakami resulting from the government's drastic policy of oppression and expulsion.)
- Nagasaki City
|Fees||Free (donations welcome)
Updated March 2017
|Access information||8 min walk from Matsuyama-machi Streetcar stop|
- NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
- 1Urakami Cathedral
- 3Site of the Chokata Residence
- 4Nyoko-do and Dr. Takashi Nagai Memorial ...
- 5Nagasaki Peace Park
- 6Peace Park
- 7Nagasaki Peace Memorial Ceremony
- 8Nagasaki Hypocenter Park
- 9The Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum
- 10Nagasaki National Peace Memorial Hall fo...
- 11HOTEL SAINT PAUL NAGASAKI
- 12Nagasaki Seiyokan
- 13Sanno Shrine (One-Legged Torii Arch & At...
- 14Shiroyama Elementary School Ruins
- 16NISSHOKAN SHINKAN BAISHOKAKU
- 17The Hotel Nagasaki BW Premier Collection
- 18BEST WESTERN PREMIER hotel Nagasaki
- 19NISSHOKAN BETTEI KOUYOUTEI
- 20Mt. Inasa trail
- 21NAGASAKI NISSHOKAN
- 22Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints o...
- 23HOTEL NAGASAKI
- 24Ken-ei Bus Terminal
- 25Nagasaki Orion Hotel
- 26Nagasaki Hotele Ihokan
- 28HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKIEKIMAE
- 29HOTEL CUORE NAGASAKI EKIMAE
- 30Fujiwara Ryokan
- 31HOTEL WINGPORT NAGASAKI
- 33Nagasaki Tourist Information Center
- 34Business Royal hotel
- 35Hotel Sainthill Nagasaki
- 36Suwa Shrine
- 37Inasayama Kanko Hotel
- 38INASAYAMA KANKOHOTEL
- 39HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 40HOTEL NEW NAGASAKI
- 41Nakamachi Church
- 42Nagasaki Embroidery
- 43Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 44The Nagasaki Museum of History and Culture
- 45Fujiwara Ryokan
- 46NAGASAKI BLUESKY HOTEL
- 47Nagasaki skyhotel
- 49Shindenan Autumn Public Viewing
- 50Shindenan Spring Public Viewing
- 51NAGASAKI I.K HOTEL
- 52NAGASAKI I・K HOTEL
- 53Santo Domingo Church Museum
- 54HOTEL PASSAGE KINKAI
- 55DiGJAPAN App
- 57Inasayama Observatory
- 58Nagasaki Night View on Mt. Inasa
- 59HOTEL IKEDA
- 60Nagasaki "Otakusa" Hydrangea Festival
- 62Siebold Memorial Museum
- 63nagasaki Hotel seifu
- 64Chisun Grand Nagasaki
- 65 Mount Inasa Azalea Festival
- 66APA HOTEL Nagasaki-Ekiminami
- 67Doragon Promenade
- 68CAPSULE IN KOYOKAN
- 69Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 70Nakashima River Summer Festival
- 71Megane-bashi (Spectacles Bridge)
- 72HOTEL BELLEVIEW NAGASAKI-DEJIMA
- 73Internship Opportunity
- 75The Spirit Boat Procession / Shourounagashi
- 77New Year's Eve along Temple Street in Na...
- 78Takengei (Wakamiya Inari Shrine's Autumn...
- 79Nagasaki Kunchi / Okunchi
- 80Teramachi-dori (Temple Street)
- 81Nagasaki Dejima Wharf
- 83Hotel Arc inn Tennen
- 84Dejima (Desima, Deshima) - Site of the F...
- 85Garden terrace Nagasaki Hotel&Resorts
- 86Garden Terrace Nagasaki Hotels & Resorts
- 88VICTORIA INN NAGASAKI
- 89Victoria Inn Nagasaki
- 90Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 91Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 92Nagasaki Bus Terminal Hotel
- 93Nagasaki Prefectural Art Museum
- 94Shinchi Chinatown
- 95 Nagasaki Lantern Festival
- 96Nagasaki Port and Nagasaki Seaside Park ...
- 97nagasaki shinchi terminal
- 98Shianbashi & Doza
- 99Nagasaki Shinchi Chinatown
- 100Hotel JALCity Nagasaki